DEAR YOUNGER SELF

I was looking through old photographs last week and stumbled across one that literally broke my heart. Although I was 16 in the photo, I really didn't recognise myself. Back then, I was emotionally unstable and hiding a million secrets. I was SO insecure & unhappy, I hated every inch of who I was. I wanted to chop off all my fat and crawl into a hole somewhere. Although I enjoyed school, I was often called names, left out of parties on the weekends and generally a misunderstood little girl. I had know idea what I was doing with makeup or fashion & although I despised how I looked, I didn't feel comfortable or confident enough to ask for help. I never saw an ounce of beauty in myself. 

Year 11, 16 years old, 2006.. Prom year! I had been dreading this for months. Walking around the school grounds, hearing all the 'omg he asked me' and 'we are going to wear matching outfits' stories. I knew I wasn't going to be asked. Although I had many male friends at school - none of them fancied me or thought I was pretty. I just wasn't good enough. Overweight, rocking trainers, frizzy hair and a crazy personality.. Why would anyone want to go to prom with me? The day before the big event, I still hadn't been asked, but it was okay. I had my dress, my vintage car to take me there & a bar of chocolate to keep me company afterwards. It was a blur. I think I was voted 'most likely to be famous' and from that night on I just knew I was going to make something of my life, despite how I looked on the outside.

No matter what has been going on in my life, at any stage.. Success & happiness has always been my saving Grace. At 12 years old my singing teacher told me 'Grace, you know you're a star, you'll get there someday'. I've never forgotten that. I never knew what I was going to do when I was 'older', I just knew I wanted to touch people.. Make them feel something, you know? 

I want this post to show every young girl out there who is crying herself to sleep at night, or cutting herself or debating whether to take her own life that you will feel beautiful one day. School isn't everything & it will soon become a distant memory. We all start somewhere and I guess I am living proof of that. The picture below says it all. So if you're the geek, the fat one or the weird one, don't you even fucking worry & don't you lose any sleep because one day you are going to be feel absolutely beautiful, in every fucking way. 

L - 16 years old, prom night. R - a month ago, VIP at Mike Hough's concert.

So dear younger self. You will grow into your own skin, you will learn how to wear your frizzy hair & you will go on a life long journey of loving yourself. You don't need to hurt yourself & you don't need to shed anymore tears. There is so much more to life than being admired by boys or wanted on the weekends. You have so much to give & one day the world will see you for what you are. You are perfectly imperfect & in a few years time thousands of people will accept you with all of your flaws & still love you anyway. Chin up girl, you have absolutely no clue just how amazing your life will become. Hang in there. Lots of love, me.. 7 years later.

PS - Everyone loves an under-dog. 
Share:

17 comments

  1. That was absolutely beautiful Grace. Thanks so much for the encouragement.

    "don't you even fucking worry & don't you lose any sleep because one day you are going to be feel absolutely beautiful, in every fucking way." :')

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so inspiring <3

    http://ce-xo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought a tear to my eye and was so inspiring <3

    I was also about to relate to the prom night feeling. When it came to Year 11 prom all my friends had been asked and were taking 'dates', even if it was just one of the guys from our friendship group but no one had asked me and I felt pretty crap about that. Although, as soon as I'd had my hair done, I'd done my makeup and I stepped into my dress I knew that even if it was just for that one night, I deserved to feel like a princess. Although, when my Year 13 prom swung around I knew that this didn't matter and I felt completely different (partly because of my long distance boyfriend) because I knew that I'd worked hard to get where I was in life, I deserved to be able to dress up and just have a fantastic night with my friends and the rest of my year and just dance the night away.

    Thank you for being so open and honest with everything Grace, it reminds me that I'm only human and no matter what I'm thinking or feeling, I'm never actually alone.

    http://littleworldofbeka.blogspot.co.uk/

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a lovely post! I think this is such an inspiring post, and you're such a good role model to young girls! x
    A-Beautiful Secret

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gracie you inspire every girl or women out there! You are beautiful xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely post, reminds me of exactly how i was at 16.... On a light hearted note, remember when those skinny eyebrows were the in thing!! I had mega bushy ones and plucked the hell out of them like everyone else because people took the mickey!!! Sadly mine have never grown back properly!! Gutted! xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is lovely and inspiring. Glad you didn't give up on yourself. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love this post Gracie. Your past struggles have clearly shaped you into a wonderful, thoughtful and wise woman. You've inspired me a lot - I'm actually currently uploading my first YT video, because although I'm SO scared of the reception, I kinda don't. give. a. fuck. :)

    New L'Oreal True Match Foundation post is up on my blog if you fancy having a read:
    AMANDALOVES.COM | UK Beauty and Fashion Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. This post is exactly what I need right now, so thank you. I really dislike who I am right now, what I look like and I am constantly not feeling good enough, for anyone. It's reassuring to know that in the future I may feel different.
    Great post!

    Amy X.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Grace you are a true blessing! THANK YOU <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. Grace, you look so amazing and are such an inspiration for everyone! You should be so proud. Would love to see a post/video on your diet/exercise. Keep doing what you're doing girl. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a lovely and sincere post. You definitely have so much to give <3 X
    thefashion-junkie

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are so inspiring! you have come so far and it just shows how much your life can change. No matter where you are coming from!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I don't understand the relevance of the photos. In the post you talk about how you felt about yourself and dissed people who judged you because of your appearance, and yet you seem to measure your success by your physical appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's just showing how she's grown into her own skin and become happier now, nothing wrong with that? It's an inspirational post :) x

      Delete
  15. I love you so much, Grace.

    ReplyDelete

rewardStyle: Homepage Feed

© Gracie Francesca | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template Developed by pipdig